Fun in School
I often wonder what it is I actually enjoy doing. Today I helped out in Willie's class and did a one-on-one with 5 students helping them complete their writing assignment. I was reminded for a moment about my high school creative writing class where we had to write constantly for 10 minutes at the beginning of class - anything we wanted. I often wrote stuff like - I do not want to write today. This sucks. Why am I in this class!
The teacher only criticized if we wrote nothing at all.
Ok third graders, I hope you were ready for me. I helped them think outside of the box. Their assignment was - If I was a third grade teacher I would.... The kids I had could not come up with 5 sentences. They drew a blank! So I asked, if you were home right now what would you do for fun? Then I tried to have them make that into something they would do as a teacher. My favs were: On Friday's we would have a pinata( I did not know how to spell and it was not in our dictionary in the room) We would build a club house. We would go for a ride on my four wheeler. Too darn cute. I had most of them laughing by the time they were done and I gave them an outloud hurray! when the finished their 5th sentence. Sorry teach, spelling was number 2 on my list compared to doing 5 sentences. I also helped with one girl on spelling words too. Poof, and hour and 15 mins was up. I did actually enjoy this.
My dear friend Sherrie Keating won a Rising Star award from the Business Times/Telegraph Herald today. I attended a luncheon in her honor and 7 others.
Then had a 2 hour meeting with a wedding couple for next year. That about blew my day.
The teacher only criticized if we wrote nothing at all.
Ok third graders, I hope you were ready for me. I helped them think outside of the box. Their assignment was - If I was a third grade teacher I would.... The kids I had could not come up with 5 sentences. They drew a blank! So I asked, if you were home right now what would you do for fun? Then I tried to have them make that into something they would do as a teacher. My favs were: On Friday's we would have a pinata( I did not know how to spell and it was not in our dictionary in the room) We would build a club house. We would go for a ride on my four wheeler. Too darn cute. I had most of them laughing by the time they were done and I gave them an outloud hurray! when the finished their 5th sentence. Sorry teach, spelling was number 2 on my list compared to doing 5 sentences. I also helped with one girl on spelling words too. Poof, and hour and 15 mins was up. I did actually enjoy this.
My dear friend Sherrie Keating won a Rising Star award from the Business Times/Telegraph Herald today. I attended a luncheon in her honor and 7 others.
Then had a 2 hour meeting with a wedding couple for next year. That about blew my day.

1 Comments:
Homeschooling Skyler is more challenging than I expected. I've forgotten WAY more than I remember (thanks likely to Jack and Captain and Pinot and Shiraz and Cab and all my other recent acquaintances). :)
jeff
By
Anonymous, At
1:13 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home