Researching Child Development and Human Relations

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Ticks

We went to the Hurstville interpretive center near Maquoketa to see a presentation by a wild life photographer. We were late because Mitchel left and we could not find him. We went for a walk after the presentation. I looked down at Willie and said oh, you have a tick, then another one. Then Mitchel found a couple. Willie was ok until I answered the question what is a tick. I said they live on the blood of animals. They suck your blood. He shreeked and freaked out. So he wimpered as we walked. I looked over and he had 2 more on his neck. Took his shirt off and found 3 more burrowing their way into the seams of his PINK shirt. He had jeans but only flip flops on. He really freaked out and was crying uncontrolably. I was laughing.

I found one on my back 4 hours later when I got home. Checked over the boys throughly. Next was Ron. He had 2 more, one getting ready to attach to his leg. Now I feel all itchy all over! Ugh. Guess I was just not ready for so many bugs so early in the season. Our car is covered with dead bugs. We drove backroads from Maquoketa to Bellevue. Ate dinner at Potters Mill since I was starving of course.

We kind of blew the afternoon, but in a relaxing way. No good wildlife photos though. Maybe another day.

2 Comments:

  • We used to get ticks all the time when my siblings and I were growing up in the foothlls of the Blue Ridge Mountains back in southwest Virginia.

    The thing that sucks about them is you really should pull part of the skin off when a tick has already attached itself, since otherwise a person can get Rocky Mountain Fever.

    At least that's why my mom told me -- although she could have just said that as an excuse to torture us?

    But seriously, when our family's dogs would get ticks on them, the ticks would get all bloated and nasty. And a gross purple liquid would come out when we stepped on those ticks after we removed them.

    Please don't tell Willie about that! :)

    By Blogger Weekenderman, At 10:22 PM  

  • sounds like a HELL of a day... ICK!

    By Blogger Lis, At 10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home