Frustration
Ok, yesterday I lost it. Saturday Mitchel got superglue on 3 separate places on my kitchen table. This was after I cautioned him to put down papers. So he did that but was gluing in on the carpet. I told him to take it out in the garage, so he decided to put it on the kitchen table. I was mad. So I tried to scrape it off with a razor blade. It bonded with the finish and took the finish off.
Just several little piddly things like that later.....
3pm Sunday I wanted to go to the Messiah Concert at St. Lukes. I explained to both children that you are not to eat in there - they had brought snacks in to the car since they choose not to eat any lunch. Mitchel starts munching something crunchy - mind you, we are in a church!
Fastforward through 2 bathroom trips, the evil eye given several times, the finger in front of the mouth motioning to be quiet because he was whispering, elbowing him since he was touching his brothers ear(I was sitting in the middle)and I whispered in his ear that I was going to videotape this last part.
This was a strings concert with a combined choir of probably 60 people. It was beautiful and like a symphony of Handel's Messiah. The end is the Hallalueia and everyone stood up. Mitchel had already put is coat on and was trying to exit the pew by pushing in front of you. I have my hands above my head and was trying to video tape with my little still camera. He kept trying to go in front of me and there was no room to do so.
I LOST IT.
I was so irritated that I grabbed him by the hair, yes a nice full handful and he has a lot of it, and pulled him down into a sitting position in the pew.
It was the culmination of about 20 minutes of chit chat on his part and him really not getting it that he needed to be still and quiet.
I did not do this gently either.
Now I was pissed at him and at myself for losing it in public.
I made him stay in the pew and I explained to him afterward how important it was to be quiet and how we were ruining the other guests experience. He stood with me for a while while Ron was saying goodbye to someone. Oh yes, Ron was not sitting with us. Then all of a sudden, he and his brother were gone. They had taken off to get refreshments. Ron went in and grabbed them just as they were about to get them and headed them out the door.
I am still mad at how I allowed them to ruin my time there. I should have sent them outside I guess. I told them in advance it was going to last about an hour. I ended up being less than that.
Just several little piddly things like that later.....
3pm Sunday I wanted to go to the Messiah Concert at St. Lukes. I explained to both children that you are not to eat in there - they had brought snacks in to the car since they choose not to eat any lunch. Mitchel starts munching something crunchy - mind you, we are in a church!
Fastforward through 2 bathroom trips, the evil eye given several times, the finger in front of the mouth motioning to be quiet because he was whispering, elbowing him since he was touching his brothers ear(I was sitting in the middle)and I whispered in his ear that I was going to videotape this last part.
This was a strings concert with a combined choir of probably 60 people. It was beautiful and like a symphony of Handel's Messiah. The end is the Hallalueia and everyone stood up. Mitchel had already put is coat on and was trying to exit the pew by pushing in front of you. I have my hands above my head and was trying to video tape with my little still camera. He kept trying to go in front of me and there was no room to do so.
I LOST IT.
I was so irritated that I grabbed him by the hair, yes a nice full handful and he has a lot of it, and pulled him down into a sitting position in the pew.
It was the culmination of about 20 minutes of chit chat on his part and him really not getting it that he needed to be still and quiet.
I did not do this gently either.
Now I was pissed at him and at myself for losing it in public.
I made him stay in the pew and I explained to him afterward how important it was to be quiet and how we were ruining the other guests experience. He stood with me for a while while Ron was saying goodbye to someone. Oh yes, Ron was not sitting with us. Then all of a sudden, he and his brother were gone. They had taken off to get refreshments. Ron went in and grabbed them just as they were about to get them and headed them out the door.
I am still mad at how I allowed them to ruin my time there. I should have sent them outside I guess. I told them in advance it was going to last about an hour. I ended up being less than that.

1 Comments:
I think your behavior was justified. While they ARE boys, Mitchel is certainly old enough to understand and comply with requests to remain quiet and respectful during something like that, especially if it is less than an hour.
I understand how you feel completely.
By
Mel, At
9:19 AM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home